Posted to rec.woodworking
Lew Hodgett

Default Screw stripped

Paul Wolsko wrote:

Although it looks OK and went
together easily enough, one of the screws that attach the back to the
arm stripped the hole in the chair back.

Is there something I can use to fill the hole and start again?

Epoxy and micro-balloons to form a fairing putty.

You don't indicate what size screw, so I will assume a #10-#12.

Drill out the damaged screw hole with a 1/2" drill all the way thru.

Tape the back of the hole shut with some duct tape.

Mix up some fairing putty to a runny ketchup consistency and pour into
the hole filling hole proud.

Wait at least 72 hours to insure a good cure.

Remove tape, drill out the fairing putty with a tap drill, then
reinstall screw.

When that chair returns to compost, that epoxy fairing putty will still
be there.

Trust me.

Lew