Posted to alt.home.repair
Just Jim

Default GARAGE DOOR STILL OFF CENTER !!!

Ron in NY wrote:
Hi all,

About a month ago, I posted a question asking what might make one of my
garage doors be off center. All of the answers I got said that a weak spring on
1 side might do that. Well, I got 2 new matched springs yesterday, and installed
them---same problem--the door is rubbing against 1 of the tracks as it goes up.
I tightened the cable on that side to give it more tension, but no difference. I
then switched the springs, left to right, and still no difference.

All of the rollers are free, both to rotate and to slide in or out. The door
is not warped, and the tracks still look perfect--not bent or warped. I can push
the door sideways and center it, but as soon as it starts to move, it slides to
1 side. What could cause this problem, beside a weak spring ??? My other garage
door is perfectly centered with no problems.

RON.
Remove the ZZZ from my E-mail address to send me E-mail.

You don't state whether the garage door is extension or torsion spring
style, but either way I think the problem is the same. The springs may
be new but it sounds like they are not set the same on tension. If you
have extension springs you need to adjust the length of the cables that
run from the spring end, through the pulleys, to the bottom of the
door. The side that rubs against the rail needs to be made longer, as
it is too tight right now. I put an extra length of chain on mine with
a turnbuckle installed on each side for extra fine-adjustment
capabilities. Start by moving a link at a time looser, then when you
get down to being close, the turnbuckle will allow for smaller
adjustments. Open and close the door after each adjustment is made, by
hand, do not use the electric opener. The door should hang level at
approximately halfway up, with the electric opener disconnected.

If you have torsion springs then the adjustment on the side that is
rubbing is to tight, close the garage door and back that side off a
half turn at a time until it works correctly. ie: back off half a turn,
tighten spring to rod, try garage door up and down, wash, rinse,
repeat. BE CAREFUL AND ONLY ADJUST TORSION SPRINGS IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU
ARE DOING! It can be done but it is dangerous if your not careful.

Jim