Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Milling/using lumber from pine trees

tillius wrote:
I've got 7 huge pine trees being felled this week on my property.

My questions a

1) how bad will the sap screw up my chainsaw mill if I resaw these into
planks?

2) will they be any better if I let them dry a while first.

3) I'm planning on using at least 1 section of nice clear trunk to
carve a cigar store indian. Should I let the wood dry first or whould I
carve while the wood is still greenl.

Is it even worth resawing them or should I just let the tree service
remove the trunks too?

There are many kinds of pine. Sugar pine is one of the better
carving woodsit is soft with a very subdued grain. Southern
Yellow Pine is one of the densest, strongest softwoods with a
bold grain. It's often used for flooring and ladders.

White Pine tends to develope 'sap stains' (actually discoloration
from fungal growth) if it is left in log form or left to air dry.

Some other pines may behave the same.

I think you'll get less trouble with the sap gumming up
your saw while it is still wet. The resins aren't going anywhere
and when they are drier they will melt onto the saw and
harden as you cut.

If they are huge and straight you should be
able to get plenty of good wood from them,
no matter the species. Good for what, exactly,
will vary with the species.

--

FF