Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
wayne mak

Default Milling Aluminum Tube

I have one of those in 1/2" it cuts aluminum very nice but does put a silver
tone to just about ever thing in the area. I would be a nice way to put
tinsel on the christmas tree.
"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote in message

"Bob May" wrote in message
. ..
The biggest improvement to cutting aluminum is to flood it with
coolant/lubricant. Various types of the stuff have differing amounts of
desire to stick to the cutter but they all have the problem. Sharp HSS
cutters will do just fine and don't bother with carbide as it just
doesn't
sharpen quite as well as HSS.

Add to that, using a high flight angle mill will help clear out all those
chips more readily.

I've got only one of those, in 3/16", and it virtually makes a rain of
chips when everything is cutting right. Stuff flies UP off the mill,
instead of out sideways.

LLoyd