Posted to rec.woodworking
Fly-by-Night CC

Default Band-saw: removing compacted wet sawdust from blade

In article ,
"John L. Poole" wrote:

Maybe the use of roller bearings is causing
increasing compression and build-up each time an affected portion of the
blade passes through the guide?

I have a Delta BS with Carter rollers and have the same problem when
roughing out green turning blanks. The rollers just pack the wet sawdust
to the blade and roller surfaces.

I scrape the residue off the blade with a razorblade or other small
metal edge while hand-rotating the upper wheel in a reverse direction
(so the teeth don't grab the scraper). A ScotchBrite on the rollers
cleans them up. It's not difficult and doesn't take that long to get
back to sawing.

It is important to remove the compacted residue at the end of a session
though as it will rust the blade body if left on - as well as becoming
extremely difficult to remove when hardened... speaking from experience.

I looked into replacing the Carters but the standard block setup would
have set me back a couple hundred for all the replacement parts.
--
Owen Lowe
The Fly-by-Night Copper Company

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the
Corporate States of America and to the
Republicans for which it stands, one nation,
under debt, easily divisible, with liberty
and justice for oil."
- Wiley Miller, Non Sequitur, 1/24/05