Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd

Default 1st time homeowner with gas log question

On 16 Apr 2006 19:41:19 -0700, "
wrote:

Thanks Jim, that sounds like good advice that I plan to take. I'm not
one for messing around with gas or high voltage.

At that point, I'm reminded of my central heat, which is gas with
electric ignition. That thing looks like it uses high voltage (there's
a wire that looks a lot like the spark plug wires in a car).

Jim McLaughlin wrote:
Wow.

Before I lit that off, I get either the local gas utility or a gas furnace
service person to come in and look at it and show you how to light it off.

If I was a gambling fellow (I'm not), I might shut off the valve at the
unit (it does have a valve, right ?) and disassemble the unit frm the
valve. Then I'd use a lot of high pressure air from my cmpressor to blowt 'I
out any crap and stuff which might have collected in the unit. Spiders are
notorious for building ness in gas lines in barbeques, etc, and what you
have sunds a lot like the functional equivalent of a barbeque.

Remember taht threadig in gas fitting turns the opposite of water
fttings.

But rather than do that myself, I'd get a servivce person in to clean it out
and test it.

I like gas heat, I like gas srtoves, and I like propane barbques. but I
don't fuss with gas appliances. I hire folks who both know more than me
and who have liability insurance.
-- Jim McLaughlin

Reply address is deliberately munged.
If you really need to reply directly, try:
jimdotmclaughlinatcomcastdotcom

And you know it is a dotnet not a dotcom
address.
wrote in message
oups.com...
Well, I took the whole shebang apart today. No mfg name on it anywhere.
Nor do I see any provision for a pilot light. The gas comes into the
fire place, it goes in the tray where all the sand and gravel is and
makes a couple of s-bends. I end up with two rows of pipe on the front
that have holes in them for the gas to come out (burners). I have to
assume that I'm just supposed to turn on the gas and light the thing
with a fireplace match in front of one of the gas outlet holes on one
of the burners. shrug

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com