Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery

Default Home AC not cooling well...

"Hot" wrote in message
My AC was struggling to stay at 78 degrees this weekend while the
temperature outside was 88. In fact, it seemed to run all day
without stopping because it could not get the house to 78. It was
hanging around 79.

I noticed a few things. First, the air pressure coming out of the
vents seemed low. I recall being able to hear the air at times in
the past. Now I have to put my hand over the vent to see if the air
is on. Second, the air coming out does not seem that cold. Third,
the secondary drip pan, under the unit in the attic had a lot of
water in it (not sure if that is meaningful). Fourth, I openened a
vent in my crawl space and the air under the house felt very cold.

If the air flow is low, you can have several problems. Check the air filter
to see how dirty it is. Look where the lines comming from the outside unit
go into the air handler. If there is ice then you may need the unit
recharged with the refrigerant (freon) . Seems strange, but low refrigerant
will cause an ice condition for a while. Also see if it feels cold on the
larger line. YOu may also have a leak in the duct work. Check to see if
the fan in the air handler is turning up to speed.