Posted to alt.home.repair
Joey

Default Home AC not cooling well...

I stongly agree that you should open the air handler and physically look
at the cage motor, belt, and make sure it's blowing properly. I don't
think your freon level is low either. Maybe just down the line in your
duct work possible a diverter has shut off ?? If the air is flowing
properly at the unit then go down line past the first split and cut a
small say four inch square opening that you can fold back. Check the
air here. If it's OK bend the metal back and tape it up. Then keep
checking down the line.

Grumman-581 wrote:
"Hot" wrote in message
snip

Take a digitial thermometer with an external probe (like one of the
indoor/outdoor thermometers), put the probe inside the vent and measure the
temperature... Measure the temperature at the warm air exchange (where the
filter is) also... There should be a minimum of 12-16 degreees F difference
between the temperatures... The more difference, the quicker the house will
cool... My current house has a 20 degree F difference and it is able to keep
the temperature at 73F rather easily even here in Hot Ass Houston... If your
temperature difference is sufficient, the problem is not with a freon issue
and also probably not a compressor issue... From there, I would start
looking at the possibility of it being an air handling issue... Maybe
insufficient air being sent throught the system (filter clogged, fan
bearings wearing out, etc)...