Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

Default Protecting brick driveway from moss/grass growth

Chris Hogg wrote:
On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 09:46:42 +0100, "AMO"
wrote:

Every couple of years, I have to use Sodium Chlorate to kill off stuff
growing in between the bricks on my driveway and then jet wash it followed
by laying down kiln sand to fill in the gaps.

I recently had a gardener in who said that there is something I can buy that
will allow me to protect the bricks and stop stuff growing in between. He
doesn't know what it is called though but said you get it in tubs and it was
expensive.

Anyone know what it is called and where to get it from cheaply?

Thanx

AMO

He may be thinking of Pathclear, available from most garden centres
and sheds. It contains paraquat weedkiller for killing existing weeds,
and a long-lasting germination inhibitor (or is it a seedling killer?)
to stop germination of fresh seeds. Lasts about four to six months I
believe, but certainly not two years. Probably best applied in early
spring ie now, and along the gaps between the bricks rather than all
over, which would be very wasteful.

I think chlorate is longer lasting.

My approach would be Pathclear, then pressure washing, then a mixture of
sand and chlorate in the gaps.. don't want to wash chlorate around the
place...it DOES poison for several years.