Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.energy.renewable,alt.energy.homepower
sam

Default Using a DC Water Heating Element as a Dump Load for a RenewablePower system.

dermotmcdonnell wrote:

Is this safe to do or will I fry the wind turbine generator? What kind
of life times do DC water heating elements have? Do I need another
fail-safe dump load and the associated electronics (probably, I
suspect, to avoid Murphy´s Law)? Anyone done this already?

Nah, I don't think you'll fry the generator with the DC load. If the turbine can't supply full power
to the element, it will just turn slower or not at all.

Actually, I don't think you really need any dump load with this sort of system. All that will happen
is that the solar cells will get hot and the turbine will spin at a rapid rate. Perhaps a mechanical
arrangement to turn the turbine out of the wind if it starts spinning too fast.

Cheers,