Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

Default Insulate or not?

Bob Minchin wrote:

I plan two heat sources.
1 a balanced flue domestic gas fire re-jetted to run on propane.

One downside of this is the amount of water vapour it will create in the
room. Not so good for rust free tool storage.

It might also be worth thinking about some form of frost protection
heating to keep it above the dew point in there for the same reason.

I found in my workshop a small wall mounted fan heater on a thermostat
set to about 5 degrees does the job nicely. With the amount of
insulation in place it does not kick into action often - and when it
does only runs for five mins or so.

2 a sawdust burner fuelled from the shavings and sawdust from the dust
extraction system on the machines.

Nice idea...

Do you have to manually load it with shavings?

(otherwise you may find the place melts when you run a thicknesser for a
couple of hours!) ;-)

The latter will be free fuel but I'm not sure how much sawdust it will
consume or I will produce and I expect propane will workout dear to run for
long periods but convenient for short stays
To an extent, I can be flexible when I use the workshop and avoid it in the
depths of winter if heating costs are too high.

My one is ok all year round, and will get to comfortable in about 10
mins from its coldest. Note however it is only 1/3rd the floor area of
yours.

--
Cheers,

John.