Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM

Default Open Neutral on Low Voltage Line with Swith Turned Off

Did the rope light work? Do either the rope light or the canisters work when
plugged into other outlets? Did you try removing the dimmer and connect the
wires together? Is it possible that you inadvertently put this outlet
circuit in series with other wiring in the box?

"Randy" wrote in message
oups.com...
Weird situation. I just expanded a two-gang switch box to a triple
gang. The new switch is a Lutron Diva DVLV-600P. Downstream from it
are a couple of outlets that I am going to plug in some rope lighting
as well as two low-voltage cannister lights.

After I wired the new switch, I turned it on and tested the outlet.
The outlet tested fine. However, the cannister lights did not light
up. Further, when I turned the switch off, the tester was still in the
outlet. Rather than just turning off, it showed a low-dim open neutral
(right light was barely lit up). Crazy.

Any ideas as to what could be causing this? All of the neutrals in the
switch box are clearly connected and the outlet neutral is also
connected.

Thanks, Randy