Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Leo Lichtman

Default Advice on Central machinery wood lathe

"Brent" wrote: (clip)The rotating headstock is a cool selling feature (on
ANY lathe), but to date I've never used it. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Try rotating the headstock 15-30 degrees toward you sometime when you are
working on the inside of a bowl. I think you will find the visibility is
improved, you will have more room to swing the tool handle, and you may find
it is easier to get light in there. It is also easier on the back, since
you don't have to lean over the ways.
(clip) Where I live, very few trees grow over 12" round, so having a large
swing isn't a concern for me. (clip)
If you turn natural edge bowls, you may want to cut a blank longer than the
diameter of the tree.