Posted to rec.woodworking
Sailaway

Default New Band Saw Questions

George wrote:

SNIP

3/4" is pretty wide for a 14" saw and needs a lot of tension. I

use a 1/2" on my Jet.

I want to agree with this. I have a 3/4" for my saw and the saw
tensions it just fine, but it is a new saw with a new spring and I
imagine I'll have to replace the tension spring sooner than I would if
I'd gotten a 1/2" blade for resawing if I hope to keep using the big
blade without problems.

SNIP

I haven't looked into this at all (I use 1/2" or smaller), but I was
curious... I've seen lots of discussions about 1/2" vs. 3/4" blades, but
for us 14" owners shouldn't there be a blade that splits the difference,
like maybe a 5/8" resaw blade? That would let the weaker springs tension
it better than a 3/4, but perhaps get better cuts than 1/2"?