Posted to rec.knives,rec.crafts.metalworking
Del Cecchi

Default fillet knife blade's geometry?

wrote:
Right now it is a little stiff for my taste but I figure I can
always take off some more, but it is hard to put steel back on.
I have a Dick boning knife that is actually too flexible.
So we will see.

Wow Del, you had the answer all along!

Grind what flexibility you want into it, and call it good.

Steel's steel and anything other than a few odd ball situations
the geometry will work itself out while you get the metal thickness
down to the flexibility you want. -As long- as you keep one eye
peeled to form a wedge shape to the blade's cross section?

I have to get a handle of some sort on this one. I think a piece
of 1 by 2 maple will be it for starters. Shape it up a little,
get a slot cut in it, and epoxy away. If I don't like it, it'll
come off easy.
del

Later say, if you decide the handle you have on there, you want to
stay-on forever, drill some holes through it and epoxy in some pins?

Do what you want with it, when you want to do it.

That's the cool thing about making your own besides getting to make
it out of a steel that industry uses to cut stuff because it's the
doggone best.

Alvin in AZ

Yes. It will be going canoeing with me in Quetico park soon. We will
see how it works, since I am the designated fish cutter.

--
Del Cecchi
"This post is my own and doesn’t necessarily represent IBM’s positions,