Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex B

Default Easy Metal cutting bandsaw

I would add that, when changing the blade, tighten the hand hand
tensioner knob as tight as you can get it by hand, then retighten after
it's run a little while. You cannot over tighten it by hand.

wrote:
My HF 4x6 was made in Taiwan, not China. Quality is a little better.
You can't get by with just one blade, I've got 12, 18 and 24 TPI
blades, what I use depends on the material thickness. If you use a
coarse pitch one on chrome moly tubing, you can be sure it'll rip a lot
of teeth out in the process. I've been using Lenox blades because I
could get them off the shelf at the local hardware store. 5-10x the
life of those pallet bands they sell with the units. There are other
good brands out there, too.

You can't really use anything other than 1/2" blades on the thing,
there's no rubber tires. A 1/4" blade would rapidly lose any set that
it had on the wheel side.

I've used the 4x6 for cross-cutting wood slats in a pinch where I
didn't want to get out the table saw, very slow. It's not a
replacement for a wood bandsaw, either. It does take a little tuning
to get the thing cutting square, there's a number of good sites that
explain the procedure. Some of the folks have had motor problems, one
reason I bought locally. I wouldn't be without mine.

Stan