Posted to sci.electronics.repair
JANA

Default tft always in standby mode

I cannot answer the question about the product relationship between DELL and
Acer. I know that DELL subcontracts to many of the big monitor manufactures
for their monitors, as like all their other devices. DELL themselves are not
a manufacture.

I found that with all these computer monitors, it is almost impossible to
buy original parts or service manuals for them.

The most common cause of failures with these monitors are capacitors going
high in ESR. The surface mount capacitors are available from Digikey, and
other suppliers like them. You will have to know the size number, the
microfarads, and the voltage rating of the ones you need in order to place
an order. Or, you can get their catalogue, and try to identify the
capacitors yourself.

If the monitor is used with defective caps, eventually this may lead to
other failures. Also, with age other types of components can start failing,
which leads to an unreliability factor after some time.

As for most of the IC's and non generic types of components in these
monitors, they will be impossible to purchase from any of the electronics
parts suppliers. The manufactures of these components will not sell directly
to anyone who is not the contractor who made the original purchase.

The manufactures of these monitors do not service any of their monitors at
the component level. They put in new boards, and then re-calibrate using an
interface system that connects to the monitor.

After warranty, most of these monitors do not pay to service, unless it is a
high end monitor that is very costly to replace.

--

JANA
_____

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi JANA,

In these monitors I have been sometimes lucky and found capacitors reading
high in ESR.

Ok, sounds interesting. And have you seen this on monitors with the
kind of problems I'm having? (Ie, is a broken cap a probable cause?)

Farther than that, would not be possible do service at home. The warranty
service people change the boards to fix these monitors.

Well, that was one of the tricky parts as Dell doesn't sell parts for
their monitors, not to anyone. Is it easier to get parts for Acer
monitors and/or can I assume that my Dell monitor is an Acer design
from top to bottom, or did Acer just produce the boards according to
Dell specs...?

Thanks/Mike