Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex B

Default SB lathe q's (thread dial indic, chip tray, carriage lock)

russell shigeoka wrote:
Machinist newbie. I recently picked up a 13" SBL single tumbler quick
change. I have three q's, any replies would be greatly appreciated:

1) the thread dial indicator has swung away from the lead screw. I
noticed on my 9" sbl it does the same thing. What is the purpose of
the indicator swinging away. Is it supposed to? Should the top screw
be really snug so it is hard for it to swing away?

You only need it when threading, so swinging it away saves unneccessary
wear & tear on it. Loosen, swing out, tighten enough for it to stay put.