Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

Default hanging things on garage walls

"T i m" wrote in message
On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 09:14:48 +0100, "Mary Fisher"

Now, to answer your question and avoid upsetting any sensitive soul who
might be peeking, floor standing shelves are probably the best solution
but
you could consider the long vertical metal strips which attach to walls
and
spread the load of shelf brackets which can be fixed at intervals to suit
your needs.

To expand on that 'girly' description a little,

It was intended to be clear to someone who might not know the terminology.
It obviously was successful - as most girly things tend to be :-)

1) It's pretty easy to put up (drill some holes, plug, screw, done)
2) The uprights spread the load over a large area (as Mary mentioned).
Handy if you don't get a good fixing at every location.
3) Are very flexible re bracket length shelf depth and position.
4) You can take them down / move them about etc
5) You can easily take them with you when you move ;-)

And you can use more than two for each rack of shelves - that can be very
useful when accommodating elephants.

When I built my 10' x 20' x 8(h)' garage / workshop I lined the inside
with 12mm WBP ply and then fitted the above system floor to eves
around all 3 walls. This means I can put a shelf / bracket pretty well
anywhere ;-)

Floor space is usually at a premium after all, which is why we
need shelves.

Indeed ;-)

Spouse's stuff always seems to end up on the floor though, no matter how
many shelves he has :-(

Ah, that's because we want to look after our stuff and if it's on the
floor it can't fall down and break! ;-)

No, he says it's because he knows where it is and it's to hand.

My (serious) concern is that it is an obstruction if he needs to get out
quickly. Goodness knows what H&S would say :-(

Mary