Posted to uk.d-i-y
Derek ^

Default What is the life expectancy of an induction hob?

On 17 Apr 2006 02:45:26 -0700, wrote:

[...]

- I have never owned any form of cooker in the past that
actually BROKE-

For the last 4 replacements I haven't had a built in oven (electric =
gas) that has lasted as long as 4 years.

they've all been retired due to extreme old age. My
questions are, if anyone knows:
What is the life expectancy of an induction hob?

It is high power electronics built down to a price. OTOH microwave
cookers seem to last OK.

Why did mine just stop working?

Probably failure of a component.

Are there things I can check myself?

Probably not unless there are fuses you can identify and check.

What are their specific benefits over other hobs to justify the price
(apart from toys-for-boys status)?

Food doesn't burn onto them (much)

Any help most gratefully accepted!

I had one and the controls were most perplexing it had a continuously
variable "power" control and also power cycling (duty ratio) control.
Nothing to see, no real way to determine the rate of application of
heat.

It got cracked and I didn't replace it.

Plenty of cheap hob places on t' internet, such as :

http://www.keek-kitchen-appliances.co.uk/acatalog/Baumatic_Electric_Hobs.html#a822

DG