Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
xmradio

Default Easy Metal cutting bandsaw

"JonJonJon" wrote in message
ups.com...
After having to saw through a 3/4" steel plate with a hacksaw I decided
it was time to look into purchasing a cheap chinese import bandsaw from
BusyBee Tools (same as Grizzly) and would like to purchase some
adequate blades for cutting aluminium and stainless steel (if it's much
different from cutting mild steel). Any recommendations on the number
of TPI I should be looking for? Blades are cheap so I'll probably grab
a couple.

I figure a bandsaw is probably a beter choice than a cut-off saw with a
grinding wheel, especially if I want to cut some aluminium even once in
a while. Unless someone has a better solution...

I'm also wondering if acquiring this metal cutting bandsaw would let me
get rid of my wood cutting bandsaw which isn't seeing much action
anyways. Is it adviseable to cut wood on a metal cutting bandsaw or
will I end up gunking up the mechanism with saw dust? If it's do-able,
I wonder if I can fit a 1/4" blade on a metal cutting bandsaw to cut
tighter curves in wood...

Thanks for the help

I have cut wood on both machines. I still keep my wood cutter, because it 3
or 5 times faster, when cutting a 4x4 or 6x6 block of wood. The metal cutter
is slower, can't use that special jagged blades, that rip the wood apart...

xman