Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default What is the life expectancy of an induction hob?

Hi, is there any one here who can help a newbie with a problem?
I bought a house with a recently installed kitchen four years ago. The
induction hob was a well-known make (De Dietrich) and the people
installing the kitchen, reputable. I've cooked on it most days since,
and it's not been bad, though not my favourite cooking method. Now the
hob has suddenly broken - that is, half the rings no longer work.
Looking online it would seem that repairing induction hobs is both a
tricky and expensive process. I'm not sure what to do - being not
necessarily in favour of repair if it's too costly. I'm also pretty
shocked - I have never owned any form of cooker in the past that
actually BROKE- they've all been retired due to extreme old age. My
questions are, if anyone knows:
What is the life expectancy of an induction hob?
Why did mine just stop working?
Are there things I can check myself?
What are their specific benefits over other hobs to justify the price
(apart from toys-for-boys status)?
Any help most gratefully accepted!