Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair
rob

Default Roof vent

On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 15:53:41 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

CJT wrote:

Put up a turbine. A decent 12" one with ball bearings will do a
great job.

If by turbine you mean those gadgets that spin in the wind, I
disagree; they seem pretty useless to me.

"Depending upon the diameter of the vents and the wind speed outdoors, the
turbines can expel vast quantities of humid air...

"A small 12 inch diameter turbine vent with a constant wind speed of 5 miles
per hour (mph) can remove 347 cubic feet of air per minute (cfm) from the
attic space. A single 14 inch diameter turbine vent that is subjected to 15
mph winds can expel up to 1,342 cfm of air!

"If the winds are still, the vents still allow air to drift up and out of
the attic space..."

A roof turbine operates at no cost, requires zero maintenance, and lasts for
many, many years.

Well yes and no. As another poster said, for winter, you will have to
have a way to cover it or cut off the circulation so the cold air
doesn't get in.

I've had some (turbines) on my Gulf Coast homes and I can't say they
are that great. I suppose they helped to some degree but my attics
still got hot (in every home that had them). Now I see more new home
construction using ridge vents with soffit vents instead of the
turbines.

Just in case, if his neighborhood has a home owner's association, he
might have to check to see if the deed restrictions allow turbines.
It happened to me once where the restriction allowed it as long as it
was not in view from the front. I don't believe this is common tho.