Posted to rec.woodworking
Charlie H.

Default New Band Saw Questions

I have the Jet JWBS-14OS which is the bottom 14" saw in the line up. I had
never thought about checking for this alignment. I eyeballed the blade
tracking to run in the middle of the top wheel when I assembled the saw and
called it good. I just went to the shop and threw a straight edge on the
wheels and they are aligned very well, I could not see any gaps with the
straight edge touching the top of the top wheel and the bottom of the bottom
wheel.
I realize that my saw is not exactly like yours, but based off of what I
just looked at if your wheels really are 1/4" off coplanar I would think
there is a problem with the saw. I know that others have expressed
differing opinions and I am not an "expert". But I just don't see how it
could be off 1/4" if it is assembled correctly. If you bought the saw
locally go and measure the floor model and see if it is like the one you
have. Did you have to fully assemble your saw ?? Mine came with the cast
iron frame / wheels / blade assembled as a unit so there was no opportunity
for me to miss something that could cause a coplanar alignment issue.

Charlie

"eclipsme" wrote in message
I just got a new Jet 14" closed base band saw. As I was putting it
together, I was impressed with the fit and finish of the pieces, esp. after
reading some of the comments others have made concerning their new saws,
particularly the Delta band saws.

Once I got it all together, I put a straightedge on the 2 wheels that the
blade goes around, and found that they were approximately 1/4" out of
coplaner. This results in the blade being a bit beyond centered on the
upper wheel and a bit before centered on the lower wheel.

The saw seems to cut ok, without excessive noise or vibration - at least I
think so. I have never owned a band saw before. Is this a problem? Do I
need to call the dealer on Monday?

Thanks,
Harvey