Posted to alt.home.repair
Bennett Price

Default 1st time homeowner with gas log question

You might want to call your gas company and ask them inspect and adjust
your gas appliances. They'll also show you how to light them. I believe
many utilities will do this for free.

wrote:
I've recently bought my first house and the fireplace has gas logs in
it. I don't really know anything about them but have doing some
reading and I think I probably have the vented type since the logs are
loose and can be repositioned.

I notice in the bottom of the grate, underneath the logs there is a
material there that looks like insulation or something similar. Is this
normal? I'm guessing that this glows and gives an ember effect but I'm
not sure and I have no frame of reference to fall back on. I don't see
this material in any of the pictures of gas logs that I've seen
online. I see the sand looking stuff on the bottom of the firebox, but
not this insulation looking stuff that I have.

Also, do I have to light these off or do all gas log systems have a
pilot light? Are these something that need regular professional
maintenance?

Thanks in advance for any insight for new homeowner.

Elliott