Posted to sci.electronics.repair
I.F.

Default TV power supply

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
.com...
Dave D spake thus:

"tommaz" wrote in message
ups.com...

Just so I'm clear - if I use the 12 volt leisure battery in my caravan
(hence the restricted space), then all I have to do is wire the TV and
digibox direct to the 12 volt supply?

Your LCD and digibox will likely want a very stable 12V supply, and a
battery will not offer that. Unless the appliances are explicity designed
for battery use, forget it. They will simply malfunction when the battery
starts to deplete, or worse it may cause damage.

Damage from *undervoltage*?

Please be so kind as to explain how this could possibly happen.

--
Pierre, mon ami. Jetez encore un Scientologiste
dans le baquet d'acide.

- from a posting in alt.religion.scientology titled
"France recommends dissolving Scientologists"

It can sometimes happen with badly designed SMPSUs, I don't know why maybe
its something to do with excessive duty cycle. Many currently available
SMPSU controller chips have UVLO which is considered a vital safety feature!