Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Eric R Snow

Default Molding custom gaskets or O-rings?

On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 12:23:26 -0400, Ned Simmons
wrote:

In article . com,
says...
Randy,

No, I can't design around commonly available ones.
I've tried, but the profile I *need* to
have makes using stock ones problematic.
There's 8 outside curving bends, and 4 inside
curving bends that are necessary to move around
obstructions and stay within the sealing surface.
Plus, I've tried altering the path of the groove I insert
them into but can't get it to fit a stock size perfectly, either.
So... any leads on DIY rubber gasket/o-ring molding?

If you can use a standard round or square cross section and just need a
non-standard length, but o-ring cord stock and splice it with Loctite
404. See McMaster p.3217. Cord stock is on p.3282. Unfortunately, 404 is
expensive and has a relatively short shelf life, but it makes a
surprisingly strong joint that works fine for static seals.

http://www.mcmaster.com/

Ned Simmons

Super glue also works for this. Though if exposed to water it may
fail. It sure doesn't when in an oily area.
ERS