Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.solar.thermal,alt.energy.homepower,misc.consumers.frugal-living
Robert Gammon

Default GFX vs home brew

Robert Gammon wrote:
Solar Flare wrote:
GFX nick
efficiency 6 7
price 5 3
convenience 9 1
wife likes 6 0
----------------------
total score 26 11

GREAT scoring system.

Particularly since GFX is non clogging and works with ALL sewer waters
(grey and black).

Efficiency is NOT the only criteria here. If we recover 40% to 60% of
the waste heat, we have made MAJOR strides in overall DHW production
efficiency. Convenience, non-clogging, wife friendly are all MAJOR
concerns.
Price is NOT the only factor either, but price and efficiency are
Nick's main concerns.

Nick's will have to be connected ONLY to non-toilet drains. Nick's
will have to be periodically cleaned of matter that goes down kitchen
sinks and out the clothes washer drain.
None of these are concerns with GFX.
If we can afford one of these, either of these, these other factors,
besides price and efficiency may well be MORE of a concern to the rest
of us.

Nick would like us to rebalance somewhat.

GFX Nick
efficiency 6 8 give Nick the benefit of the
doubt on higher efficiency
price 5 8 lower price gets higher points
convenience 8 2 Nick must separate toilets from
processing, GFX takes ALL
wife friendly 5 1 GFX almost invisible, Nick's is
a largish stack of 4.5 inch pipe
Maintenance 10 1 GFX never needs maintenance,
Nick's will need at
least annual cleaning
------ -------
34 20

So use Nick's system if you are on a TIGHT, TIGHT budget and don't mind
the large coil of 4.5 inch black PE pipe in the basement, AND you can
isolate the toilet drains from all other drains.

Nick says GFX needs a toothbrush for cleaning. WHAT???? Its a straight
piece of 3 inch or 4 inch diameter copper pipe from 30 to 60 inches
long that the wastewater flows thru. If it ever needed to be cleaned,
its VERY simple to uncouple the clamps that hold it to the sewer,
disconnect the water (if proper disconnect fittings are installed,
usually not) , take it outside and flush the 3 inch or 4 inch copper
tube with a hose, perhaps running a soapy rag down the inside to rub
anuy residue off. However, the VERY VERY strong flow on the inside
wall of the pipe should keep the inside nearly spotless, subject to ONLY
the normal oxidation of copper in air

I can't as I have a slab foundation and NO basement (plumbing is buried
beneath the slab). The ONLY choice for me is a sewage ejector in the
corner of the garage, near where the main sewer line exits under the
slab with a GFX stack in the corner above the sewage ejector.