Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd

Default 1st time homeowner with gas log question

On 15 Apr 2006 20:44:33 -0700, "
wrote:

Wow...that was fast! Thanks to everyone for the quick and very
detailed responses. This definitely looks like a retrofit situation
since the fireplace has a standard damper and everything on it.

Mine is like that. If you don't open the damper, the CO alarm goes off
quickly.

I'll
poke around in there tomorrow and see if I can't find a mfg name and
model number and take the advice of searching for a pdf online. I've
already had to do this for the sprinkler system and thank goodness I
found it. I would have never figured out how to program that thing.

Living in Texas, fireplaces are more for show than anything else since
it just doesn't get very cold for very long down here. Heat output is
not too much of a concern. We just want it to look nice and make us
feel cozy while sipping on coffee and reading a book.

I'm in Texas, and really needed the gas logs one December when it was
freezing and the electricity went off (central heat wouldn't work) for
2 days. That's how I found out I had gas logs in this house.

Everyone's comments were extremely helpful and have given me some
direction to move in.

Thanks again everyone!

Elliott

--