Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd

Default 1st time homeowner with gas log question

On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 02:40:39 GMT, Paul M. Eldridge
wrote:

Hi Elliott,

Congratulations on the purchase of your new home! If this log set is
installed in a masonry chimney with a flue then, yes, most certainly
it is vented. Here in Canada, our code requires all log sets to be
outside vented and any existing damper to be removed. They do operate
on a standing pilot (at least, I'm not aware of any that use
electronic ignition) and the material you describe as looking like
insulation does, in fact, glow as it heats up.

Most gas appliances don't require much in the way of maintenance but
it would be a good idea, nonetheless, to have it checked out by a
qualified gas technician, just to make sure everything is working
properly. And, if you don't have a CO2 detector in your home, now
would be a good time to buy one, if just for your peace of mind.

That's CO (no 2). My gas logs are installed in an old fireplace and
do set off the CO detector if the damper isn't opened.

Now the bad news... these log sets use 60,000 to 100,000 BTUs, even
more, so they're not exactly cheap to operate. Keep in mind they're
also not intended to heat your room; rather, they're designed to heat
your entire neighbourhood. :-)

Now the **really** bad news.... conditioned air is literally being
sucked out of your home 24 hours day, 365 days of the year. You're
losing a tremendous amount of conditioned air up your chimney because
we're not just talking about a "loose fitting" damper.... we're
talking NO damper! If you're not exactly married to the idea of a gas
log set -- and, admittedly, they really are very beautiful -- I would
highly recommend you replace it with a gas insert. This would save
you a considerable amount of money and provide you with a proper heat
source in the event of an emergency (e.g., furnace breakdown or
extended power outage).

Hope this has been helpful.

Cheers,
Paul

On 15 Apr 2006 18:56:24 -0700, "
wrote:

I've recently bought my first house and the fireplace has gas logs in
it. I don't really know anything about them but have doing some
reading and I think I probably have the vented type since the logs are
loose and can be repositioned.

I notice in the bottom of the grate, underneath the logs there is a
material there that looks like insulation or something similar. Is this
normal? I'm guessing that this glows and gives an ember effect but I'm
not sure and I have no frame of reference to fall back on. I don't see
this material in any of the pictures of gas logs that I've seen
online. I see the sand looking stuff on the bottom of the firebox, but
not this insulation looking stuff that I have.

Also, do I have to light these off or do all gas log systems have a
pilot light? Are these something that need regular professional
maintenance?

Thanks in advance for any insight for new homeowner.

Elliott

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com