Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dave D

Default Laptop battery won't output voltage

wrote in message
Dell Sony Battery pack from 8200 Inspiron type 66Whr
System didn't like it, either slot. Won't charge it and flashes LEDs
strangely. Happy with other pack either slot.
-- System OK
battery pack button indicates one LED level
took it apart, reading battery voltage directly shows 3.6 volts on all
pairs - total 14.5 volts (4 pairs) -- batteries OK
Voltage on terminal output leads from board about 2 volts.
-- electronics problem.

Maybe, maybe not. It is likely a 'smart battery' and maybe the electronics
are shutting down the output.

where can I get a pack with bad batteries??
a schematic??
whatever??

It's possible the cells are at the end of their life and the electronics can
sense this. Doing off-load voltage measurements of cells is fairly
meaningless, you need to present them with a reasonable load.

However, you should be able to pick up a battery on eBay, I've picked up
laptop batteries up there in the past quite cheaply.

Dave