Posted to uk.d-i-y
bendit

Default Accounts Packages

I would forget all accounts packages and go for the Excel spreadsheet
option.

The spreadsheet option can be changed to suit your needs very easily.
I have set up the following pages.

GENERAL LEDGER (the main page that uses info from all the other pages)
NI
UTILITIES
BANK CREDITS
JOB SPENDS
BANK DEBITs
CUSTOMERS
QUOTES
SECURITY
SALES
ACTUAL CAR COSTS
PETROL LOG
TOOLS
MILEAGE
MAINTENANCE
PPE
STOCK
PUBLICITY

Most of the pages just have the following headings

Date Description Cost

With the Sales page with headings

Job/Quote Nos
Description
Quoted Price
Payment Method
Month
Order Rxd Date
Finish Date
Hours Work
Invoice Issue Date
Invoice Paid Date

And the Mileage page

Date
Job Nos Description
Start Mileage
End Mileage
Total Business Mileage
Total Private Mileage

Do not forget to do massive amounts of backups onto CD's. I have had 2
HD's crash, and have had to go back 2 weeks on my jobs. So always keep
a written record of what you do etc, and do not throw them away.

My biggest problem was trying to get a package that did what I wanted.
None are customizable, or at least I think they are not.

One of the basics I wanted was to allocate a start mileage and an end
mileage to each job, which I thought would have been easy. I have not
found a way of doing it in Sage. It can done in Quickbooks, but on
seperate pages to the job.

Be very cautious, as every one has stock ????

If you want a blank spreadsheet I can email it to you.

On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 09:54:14 GMT, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

Hi

Can anyone recommend a PC based accounts package for the self employed?

Looking for simple. I don't carry any stock to speak of, customer buys it,
I fit it. I don't employ anyone, I don't have any cash flow issues (payment
at completion of job).

Just want to keep track of ingoings & outgoings for the tax man & keep an
eye on the business.