Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y
SteveH

Default What are regulations for Easter trading? [OT]

David Marshall wrote:

In article ,
Richard Colton wrote:
Because many of those "silly people" would have to work on a day that is
religously important to them.

You assume that unlimited Sunday trading would mean that shopworkers were
forced to work on days that had significance to them. That is not the
case, even now:
http://www.direct.gov.uk/Employment/...dTimeOff/Worki
ngHoursAndTimeOffArticles/fs/en?CONTENT_ID=10028516&chk=plRNsk

If you believe the Sunday 'opt out' actually offers some level of
protection to the average retail worker, then you're sadly mistaken.

Due to the alarmingly low rates of union membership (and a totally
spineless main union) there is, in practice, very little Sunday opt-out
protection within the industry.

FWIW, I once made noises about signing the opt-out when I was a deputy
manager for Safeway, only for my boss to tell me he'd have to reconsider
my suitability for the role.....
Alfa 156 2.0 TSpark Lusso - Fiat Marea 20v HLX - COSOC KOTL