Posted to alt.home.repair
Nozaki

Default Well pressure tank leaking.....

Have a house in NH with an artesian well for water supply. Cold water
well pressure tank was replaced about 10-12 years ago but not the pipes
around it. Recently I had to do some work on an upstairs faucet and
shut off main valve from pressure tank to the rest of the house. When
I turned the valve back on, I noticed water coming out of pressure
relief valve. Over time the water slowed to a slow drip. Now I notice
that every so often, the drip turns into a "drizzle" and water comes
out at a pretty good clip (not sure about water usage at that exact
time). The pressure gauge shows 45 PSI and the relief valve lists it's
rating at 75 PSI. Originally thought pressure valve may be old or
clogged with sand or debris, but I have noticed the pressure gauge
needle not moving at all from 45 PSI; doesn't seem to fluctuate, is
this normal? I am planning on replacing the pressure gauge and then
the relief valve if the pressure is fine. What could be raising the
pressure in the tank if the relief valve is not the culprit and it is
doing it's job? There is some kind of "Pumptrol" mechanism between the
pressure gauge and relief valve. Is this the pressure switch and could
this be the problem? I am trying to repair this myself but am
concerned about the whole water, electricity, pressure thing. Looks
like if I shut the breaker, and drain the tank everything seems
straightforward except maybe the pressure switch. Any ideas. The tank
is a Flexcon WR120S. It is about 4feet high and 16 inches in diameter.
I couldn't find how many gallons it holds. Thanks.