Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.engineering.electrical,alt.horology,uk.d-i-y
n cook

Default Accuracy of UK power grid time control?

Tony Williams wrote in message
In article ,
Derek ^ wrote:

The traditional approach assuming the outages were brief, was to
use a cheap oscillator (an astable mutivibrator) running from a
back up battery when the mains feed was down.

On big tower clocks (which often had difficult access
for adjustment) one standard solution was to make all
power cuts last a multiple of 12 hours exactly, either
manually or with a battery-powered crystal oscillator.

--
Tony Williams.

Any connection with the tradition/obligation ? that any broken civic clocks
should have their hands set to 12.00 ?

Seriously aside, is there any problem for civic clocks in seriously leaning
towers?
One near me , if picture outside of a file is downloadable here
http://www.nutteing.freeukisp.co.uk/triangle1.jpg
with my assistant holding a plumbob to show the lean
or otherwise part down on
http://www.divdev.fsnet.co.uk/graff.htm

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England