Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

Default Spraypainting tips

On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 22:45:49 -0500, "Hippie"
wrote:

"Steve B" wrote in message
newsT_%f.560$QP4.399@fed1read12...

"Andrew VK3BFA" wrote

Sorry to ask a stupid question, but I dont know - whats a dead blow
hammer -? - a wooden block under a normal one?.

Andrew VK3BFA.

Asking is not stupid. Acting like you know about a tool and using it
improperly is stupid.

Go to the store and ask to see one. They are just a shot filled hammer.
Good for lots of stuff when you want to whack something, but do it softly.
I use mine for special things. Like tapping on the big metal stainless
steel ring around my swimming pool filter to get it to seat on the O ring
without dinging the stainless steel. For putting paint can lids back on.
For hitting things where I don't want to leave a mark. For hitting things
that only take a little shove or whack, and a hard hit with a hard faced
hammer will probably ding something. They are great when you don't want
recoil.

Once you buy one, you will use it only occasionally, but when you do, they
are one of the sweetest specialty tools you can own. They are not
expensive, either, and come in different sizes.

Steve

I have Ball Peen hammers which are Dead Blow also. These are great when
you need more impact/force from a smaller size hammer. Use extreme caution
if using with a punch or chisel. It causes tissue to explode with red gunk
flying all over the place. End result is sitting waiting for X-rays, and
sutures... Nice scars though :-( On these, the face is threaded internally,
and the head is filled with fine shot or powder. I use the plastic coated
ones for items like Steve mentioned that I do not want to mar.
Hippie

I use a 1lb dead blow hammer to seat the work EVERYTIME in a milling
vise, before cranking it down completly.

Snug, Thump, tighten

Gunner

"I think this is because of your belief in biological Marxism.
As a genetic communist you feel that noticing behavioural
patterns relating to race would cause a conflict with your belief
in biological Marxism." Big Pete, famous Usenet Racist