Posted to uk.d-i-y
Joe

Default Accounts Packages

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Hi

Can anyone recommend a PC based accounts package for the self employed?

Looking for simple. I don't carry any stock to speak of, customer buys it,
I fit it. I don't employ anyone, I don't have any cash flow issues (payment
at completion of job).

Just want to keep track of ingoings & outgoings for the tax man & keep an
eye on the business.

At that level, Excel or equivalent or possibly Access. You'll spend so
much time trying to force an off-the-shelf product to do it the way you
want it that you might as well DIY completely.

I still use a spreadsheet for PAYE, but I've moved to Access for other
accounting. In my spare time (!) I'm looking to move the data to MySQL
with web access to it.

You'll also want to keep track of asset capital allowances, so if you
do go for a package, make sure it's versatile enough to keep up with
Gordon's year-to-year whims. Life used to be simpler...