Posted to alt.home.repair
Art

Default 1st time homeowner with gas log question

I would look around for instructions. Lighting the pilot light is a bit
confusing the first time, even with instructions. You don't want to blow up
your new house and it is possible if you don't know what you are doing. The
glass wool is to make glowing embers and gets replaced every few years.

"Jim McLaughlin" jim.mclaughlin wrote in message
. ..
Sounds like your seller either did not keep appliance instructions /
manuals
or give them to you.

As to the gas logs, please don't fuss with them until you have first
identified the manufacturer and gone to its web site to see if you can get
manual instructions. Almost everybody these days has a PDF file on line
of
every manual for their products.

A bright flash light and a lot of close inspection of the unit will
probably yield a manufacturer name and a model number stamped or cast
some
where into the logs set.

wrote in message
oups.com...
I've recently bought my first house and the fireplace has gas logs in
it. I don't really know anything about them but have doing some
reading and I think I probably have the vented type since the logs are
loose and can be repositioned.

I notice in the bottom of the grate, underneath the logs there is a
material there that looks like insulation or something similar. Is this
normal? I'm guessing that this glows and gives an ember effect but I'm
not sure and I have no frame of reference to fall back on. I don't see
this material in any of the pictures of gas logs that I've seen
online. I see the sand looking stuff on the bottom of the firebox, but
not this insulation looking stuff that I have.

Also, do I have to light these off or do all gas log systems have a
pilot light? Are these something that need regular professional
maintenance?

Thanks in advance for any insight for new homeowner.

Elliott

I recommend that you get a 4 inch 3 ring binder and a bunch of heavy
duty
plastic sheet protectors from an Office Depot type place. The sheet
protectrs are three hole punched, and fit into the binders.

Once you get the manual / instructions from the manufacturer, put the into
sheet protector in the binder and keep forever, or until you sell the
place. Deliver the binder to the whoever buys from you. They will
bless
you.

Then go to the web site of the manufacturer of every appliance (stove,
microwave, refrigerator, dishwasher, washing machine, dryer, electric
coffee
pot, hot water heater, furnace, AC or heat pummp, thermostat, etc.) you
have, get to your appliance's model number, and download the manual /
instrctions if you don't already have it. Store the manuals /
instructions
in the binder.

I have binders for all household appliances; all electronics (TVs, stereo
components, VCRs, DVDs; phones); outdoor yard equipment (really good at
this
time of year for looking up the lawnmower spark plug number and the oil
gas
ratio mixture on the weed wacker); all shop tools; computers and computer
components) and 1 or 2 others I can't remember right now. Raelly a big
help t have the stuff in binders, protected in plastc, on a book shelf in
the wokshop.

- - Jim McLaughlin

Reply address is deliberately munged.
If you really need to reply directly, try:
jimdotmclaughlinatcomcastdotcom

And you know it is a dotnet not a dotcom
address.