Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 1st time homeowner with gas log question

I've recently bought my first house and the fireplace has gas logs in
it. I don't really know anything about them but have doing some
reading and I think I probably have the vented type since the logs are
loose and can be repositioned.

I notice in the bottom of the grate, underneath the logs there is a
material there that looks like insulation or something similar. Is this
normal? I'm guessing that this glows and gives an ember effect but I'm
not sure and I have no frame of reference to fall back on. I don't see
this material in any of the pictures of gas logs that I've seen
online. I see the sand looking stuff on the bottom of the firebox, but
not this insulation looking stuff that I have.

Also, do I have to light these off or do all gas log systems have a
pilot light? Are these something that need regular professional
maintenance?

Thanks in advance for any insight for new homeowner.

Elliott