Posted to alt.home.repair
George E. Cawthon

Default Pouring concrete floor, HF mixers

Proctologically Violated©® wrote:
Awl--

I'm getting ready to pour a floor, which has to be done in sections of about
2.5 feet by 14 feet, by about 4 to 6" deep--or about 1/2 to 2/3 of a cubic
yard at a time. Cupla Q's:

Any experience with HF mixers? They have 1.5, 2.5, 3.5 cu ft mixers. I've
rented a 2.5 cu ft mixer, which seemed convenient ito # bags of ready mix
one could put in it--but don't quite recall all the details--it was a pretty
traumatic experience.
For some reason, some of the HF 1.5 cu ft mixers are more expensive than the
larger ones. Why would that be? Same HF mfr--Central Machinery.

Should I use wire or rebar? What size rebar?
I plan on using QuickCrete mix, or the equivalent.
Any tips? Should I break up the pour into, say, 2.5 by 3.5 foot sections,
or just a continuous 2.5 by 14 ft pour? If smaller sections, is 3/4 pine OK
for the joints?
Lay down plastic sheeting first? Any kind in particular?

Not a critical pour (shop floor), but don't want to screw things up
unncecessarily, either.

Would like a demo on getting a smooth floor. Any advice or mebbe a dvd on
this I could buy? Mebbe Sakrete puts one out. Or Jimmy Hoffa?

TIA. Appreciate all input.
--
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll

I helped my dad pour a lot of concrete, concrete
walls, and we used a 3 or 4 cubic foot mixer. I
wouldn't want to use anything less than 3-4 cF for
the amount you are pouring. It makes no sense to
use ready mix when you are mixing it; the cost
will be enormous. You need to buy a gravel-sand
mix (often called road mix) and cement. Count the
shovels of road mix, count the shovels of cement,
count the gallons of water.

Two people work fairly well, one mixing, one
placing the concrete when putting it in wall
forms. If you have it pretty well set up, the
stuff will be just about done mixing when the
wheelbarrow gets back. You probably want 3 or 4
people for doing a floor. You are only talking
3-5 loads assuming 3 cf mixer and wheelbarrow; so
thats probably 20-40 minutes of mixing.

As to the questions, you need a book to look at
for how to prepare for the floor, using wire,
screeding, etc.