Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman

Default Is there a fluid by-pass in a submersible fountain pump.

On 15 Apr 2006 20:43:58 -0700, "
wrote:

I was just curious if one of these pumps has a hi pressure by pass. I
was going to use one to make a low pressure coolant pump with limited
flow, but don't want to burn the motor up if there is not a by pass.

Thanks, Steve

My guess is that they are centrifugal or "impeller" type pumps. That
type of pump is intrinsically pressure-limited, doesn't need need a
bypass. A restriction in the line (or gravity head) reduces flow
rate and downstream pressure while max pump outlet pressure remains
fairly constant at given RPM.