Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin H. Eastburn

Default WEBER Genesis Silver B was Best Gas Grill

We got a Silver several years ago. We use BBQ's 12 months a year - snow or rain - whatever.
The silver is giving us great results - standing up - and still good as new.
Our last one lasted 4 years(not Weber) but the previous one lasted far longer than I care
to admit - I kept re-building it - We had a super large one - cooked large turkeys on a spit
and even baked cakes. It died - bought a low value, medium cost that was crap. So we bought
the quality one and have been happy (with it :-) ) ever since.

Martin

Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH & Endowment Member
IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member

Roy wrote:
Well we went with the Weber Silver B model. I still am not convinced
that its worth the retail price but it seems that no matter where you
buy them they are within a few bucks of each other so your not really
saving much. Places that list them at $400 want an additional $140+
for shipping etc.

I did manage to save a few bucks from HD though. I am not a supporter
of paying assembly fees, nor prone to buying items that are assembled
by store personel even if its done free, so we looked long and hard
around this area for one in the box, but had to settle for one already
assembled. Just a quick look over revealed lots of loose fasteners,
fasteners not installed, and fasteners without washers etc according
to instruction sheet, so I brought this to the dept managers
attention, telling him I am buying a inferior product due to the lack
of whoever assembled it to follow instructions and it will be me or
whoever it is in the end that buys it thats gonna bite the bullet on
improper installation / assembly. He agreed, and knocked off an
additional $75 bucks from their price.....I can handle that just fine,
but the folks that assemble things for customers in these stores sure
do leave a lot to be desired. I seen a vaccuum trailer for a lawn and
garden tractor that was preassembled in Lowes, and inside the trailers
enclosed body was a heap of left over hardware, mainly washers, and
spacers etc........which on such items made out of thin soft steel
washers are almost a must have to help prevent distortion and pull
tthrough of bolted items.....

So anyhow, we have used it 5 times already, and it seems to work fine,
and as well built as it is, its still a lot of money for what you
realy get, IMHO......but as long as the wife is happy, thats what
counts.