Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Roy

Default Best Gas Grill

On 11 Apr 2006 03:05:43 GMT, Bruce Barnett
wrote:
(Roy) writes:

We have been buying cheaper grills and after 3 to 5 years wind up
trashing them and buying a new one again...Now the wife wants a good
grill. So far we have looked at the Weber Genisis series as well as
the Ducane and also Vermont Castings lineup....

After looking at them all, Webers Genisis still has a better
warranty.........Vermont CAstings while they make a great wood stove
for heat etc, their grils seem to leave a lot to be desired......That
big open area under it could easily be enclosed and the slope of the
hood could be make less ....

I have a Weber Genesis and has really been happy with it. At first I
was upset because I can't just turn on the left burner and cook a
small steak. I had to use 2 or more burners.

But then I really learned how to use direct and indirect heat, and
find the three burner system great. Also, I can cook a thick steak,
and get the outside well seared, but the inside perfect.

After buying a WEBER Genisis grill all we can afford to eat now is
paper thin steaks or hamburger....... ;-)

I've been using the indirect heating system more. The middle burner is
off, and the front and back are on, with the meat in the middle. I
combine the direct searing with the indirect when I want to make sure
a thick piece of meat is cooked.

The wife seems to like the indirect / direct heating methods as well.
NIce to sear a steak fast and then just get the insides warm (like em
extremely rare inside but seared well outside) . Harder to do on other
grill without getting insides too well done or dry.

The auto-starter works well. After four years, I have to press the
started twice, but every other grill the started failed completely.

Our starter never worked from day one on the Weber....Weber is sending
a replacement........looks like whoever assembled grill managed to
breaka off the terminal for the one wire that goes in the center
porcelain insulator.......yet another reason I d not like preassembled
items from big box stores.
I do have to replace the Flavorizer bars. Mine have holes in them.

I just finished cutting and bending up a replacement set
already.......for that day...Made em out of some titanium I had. I had
a vaporizer bar I madeout of titanium for the old Thermos brand and
Charbroil brand grills that stil look as good as the day I made
them.......I figure once these porcelain coated steel opnes go south,
the titanium ones will be here until I die or the grill goes to
heaven.

The Weber cookbooks are very useful as well.

--
\\\|///
( @ @ )

oooO
\ ( ( )
\_) ) /
(_/
The original frugal ponder ! Koi-ahoi mates....