Posted to alt.home.repair
HerHusband

Default (Garage) Making your own foundation?

Did you mix the concrete yourself or did you pay for a mixer truck?
Don't certain localities require a certain grade concrete for footings
(etc.) and are these higher grade concretes something the DIY'er can
do themselves?

We hired a company called "Mini-Mix" with a truck that mixes concrete on-
site. We used them for all of our concrete work.

It's an incredible system. You only pay for the concrete you need (no waste
to dispose of), and they can usually supply extra if you underestimate the
concrete you needed (which I did once).

They can remotely control the chute and truck while pouring. So he can
easily put the truck and chute where he needs it. VERY convenient.

Our guy always supplied a 3000psi mix which, I believe, is stronger than
code requires for residential work around here.

As for mixing it myself, not a chance. I've mixed up a few bags for a small
step or something, but you would need hundreds of bags to pour a
foundation. Parts would be setting up before you could get the rest mixed.

On a related note, when we wanted to put pea gravel in our crawlspace, I
hired a company with a conveyor truck. He simply parked in our driveway and
shot the gravel about 50 feet out to our foundation. He could control the
distance and angle while delivering, so he did the majority of the
spreading for us. All I had to do afterwards was a light raking to smooth
things out.

These high tech trucks make simple work out of some tough jobs.

The guys who did our slab had an old fashioned concrete truck deliver their
concrete though.

Anthony