Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.solar.thermal,alt.energy.homepower,misc.consumers.frugal-living
Robert Gammon

Default GFX vs home brew

wrote:
daestrom wrote:

While I agree that 'batch' flows that do not fully purge your apparatus will
give you some improvements, we haven't seenn any of your 'numbers' for that.

Here are some numbers for that. If 100' of 3 1" pipes (polyethylene, with
a 0.07" wall thickness) has 78.5 ft^2 of surface with U = 10 Btu/h-F-ft^2,
10' has 78.5 Btu/h-F...

[snip]

Question, How large a space does your heat exchanger occupy?

3 PE pipes inside a larger PE pipe is NOT very flexible. Bend radius
for this configuration is measured in feet.

It not very thick, to be sure, but to collapse this into a practical
shape, (100 linear feet of tubing in the rafters of a basement will NOT
fit in most houses), you'll need to bend this into a coil of say about 5
or 6 feet in diameter, several feet high. You quoted some figures for
the dimensions of the assembled unit, but now those dimensions as I
recall them don't make sense.