Posted to rec.woodworking
Roger amd Missy Behnke

Default Sticky finish problem

A little more information would be helpful.

1. Was there any stain or dye used on the oak before the wb poly?

2. Did the finish dry well originally then turn sticky? If so, how long
before it turned sticky?

3. If it never dried well, how long has it been since it was applied and
what has the weather been like.

4. What has been used to clean the table and how soon after the finish
dried was the first cleaning done?

Roger

"Doug" wrote in message
ups.com...
I built a white oak dinning table that I finished with water-based
poly. The surface of the table is extremely tacky now. I'm theorizing
that the water-based finish does not respond well to being cleaned.
Does anyone have any suggestions. At this point, I'm planning on
sanding down the table and refinishing with oil poly.