Old Nick

Default Too Much Flex in Aluminum Tubing

On Wed, 5 Nov 2003 16:31:31 +0000 (UTC), domain
(qedude) wrote something
.......and in reply I say!:

Someone asked how am I measuring this ?

Laser pointers :-) Clamp a laser pointer or in my case last pointers to the
pier and aim them at a target some distance away. This is how I can be fairly
sure that the pier itself is flexing. I can't be 100 percent sure since the
laser pointers don't give a really precise dot. I can also see this in the
eyepiece of the scope using a high power cross hair eyepiece.

A question or two. When you say you can see the effect in the
eyepiece, using a cross-hair high mag eyepiece, what are you looking
at? Stars, or the Laser dots?

I ask because I am wondering if you are over-reacting. If the laser
pointer rotates at a radius of say, 3", and the dot is 100 feet away,
you have a 400:1 "magnification". If at that point you are hard-pushed
to see any movement, will the 'scope's view be affected at all?

I know a lot depends on the mounting etc, and the effective radius of
rotation of the laser. But it is a thought.
Until I do the other one,this one means nothing
Nick White --- HEAD:Hertz Music

!!
")
_/ )