Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.engineering.electrical,alt.horology,uk.d-i-y
Doki

Default Accuracy of UK power grid time control?

"daestrom" wrote in message

Indeed. Part of the standard equipment in the old days was a special
'crystal oven' with tightly controlled temperature. By regulating the
temperature of the crystal inside, the accuracy its vibrations was
improved.

An old 'urban lengend' was that the first quartz watches were calibrated
assuming the temperature of the crystal was going to be controlled by the
body heat of the wearer. And that leaving your watch on the dresser over
the week-end would cause it to slow down slightly. Don't know if it is
really true, but it's a nice story.

My cheap and nasty Casio digital watch seems to have lost 2 minutes after I
left it first in my old car, and then in my old car in the shed. Neither
place was particularly warm...