Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Nick Müller

Default extruded aluminum project.... what to expect.

Eric R Snow wrote:

These could be molded in nylon or another engineering plastic. Mold
costs will be high. Cheaper in China, but then that's just more money
leaving America. Extrusion could be done cheaper. The last time I bid
a job requiring a custom extrusion of my design the minimum run of
aluminum was only 300 lbs. The carbide die was to be formed by EDM and
wasn't nearly as expensive as the quote for a simple mold for a
production run of some Delrin parts.

Could you tell me (ballpark) how much the extrusion form was and what
the cross section was?

Just curious
Nick
--