Posted to uk.d-i-y,sci.physics
Roy L. Fuchs

Default How rough for gluing two surfaces

On Fri, 14 Apr 2006 22:57:20 +0100, Andy Gave us:

"Andy" wrote in message

When I want to glue to surfaces togther then I am advised to
roughen the surfaces first.

In this particular case I have two fairly soft hard plastics
(about as soft as styrene but not as soft as polyethylene)
which i wish to stick together.

----------------------

I have a choice of adhesive:
(1) "super glue" - cyanoacrylate adhesive
(2) Bostik or UHU - general purpose adhesive
(3) Evostik - contact adhesive
(4) Araldite - epoxy resin
(5) hot melt adhesive from glue gun - various formulations

On 14 Apr 2006, Kono wrote:

you should use a glue for that plastic, all the above will not
work that well.
The plastic glue will dissolve the plastic some, and bond it.
Try pipe cement, for plastic piping, it is a great plastic
glue.

Maybe drain pipe solvent cement could work. But different cement
is used for different drain pipe plastics (styrene, ABS, PVC, CPV)
and I can't identify what my surfaces are.

The two plastics I am joining do not dissolve even slightly with
acetone or with ethyl acetate (both as nail varnish removers).

Liquid nails construction adhesive from home depot or the like. No
surface pre-prep required.